Saturday, December 8, 2012

Vibrato

How do you conceive of it?  When is it appropriate and when is it not? Why do we do it?

Since most of my formal training is as a "classical" saxophone player, I must constantly grapple with the fact that I trained myself to play with vibrato and in some of my recent contexts, vibrato is not an appropriate expressive device.  

Listening back it also seems that I have a tendency to scoop into notes too much. still.  There is always something to be worked on I suppose.

I think I am finally coming to this realization enough to be comfortable saying it in public, I usually dislike vibrato anyway.  So why do I play with it?  Habituation and  academic saxophone culture.

Don't give in to the hegemon because it's the easiest thing to do.  Give in to it because you really believe in it.  Then one day something will happen in your life that will rend all those previous beliefs asunder.  So now I reflect and reassess.

No comments: