Friday, April 12, 2013

Editing

Hours and hours of sweat and concentration.  I still have 80 measures or so left to transcribe vocal rhythms into.  Thankfully I am not in the act of creating permanent pitch content just yet, as the singers have been requested to come up with their own vocal lines based on the harmonies the band provides and their own experiences from past operas and roles they have filled.

Last sunday we had a read through with the singers doing their level best and I couldn't have been more pleased.  I am looking forward to the anticipation that will start to creep in as the performance date draws nearer and nearer.  Here's a shoutout to Alison Heryer who is going to be designing the costumes for all of our scenes.  She has some very great ideas on how to use the space.

I have dallied too long, I must complete these parts.   So I leave you with this, because I've been listening to more and more of his music lately.

Despite this piece's elegiac reputation, I find it to be some of the most significant counterpoint I have ever listened to in terms of influencing how I work out my ideas.  You should also check out his Essay for Orchestra Nos. 1 and 2.

No comments: